Saturday, April 3, 2010

You can't be a huge fan of BTVS without rooting for girl-power!!!

So, it's 2 am and I can't sleep (mostly because I accidentally took a four hour nap today).  Well, my brother down from Idaho today and came to see me.  He mentioned something while I was working on my last post that made me think...he said that he's been skimming all the latest posts because they're all about guys...so I thought, "hey, what if I dedicated a post to him about all my girl-powery girl faves of my favorite TV shows...that'd be fun."  So, that's what this post is gonna be!  This is for you De-bi-su!!!!!

Buffy Summers - BTVS

The reason for this super-powered chica is pretty obvious.

Giles: Into each generation, a Slayer is born. One girl in all the world, a choosen one. One born with the...  Giles, Buffy: -strength and skill to hunt the vampires...  
Buffy: To stop the spread of their evil blah, blah, blah, I've heard it, okay?
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 1, Episode 1: Welcome to the Hellmouth

Yeah, she's the most girl-powery icon...she saves the world all the time and makes sure she looks pretty while she does it!  Hero, right there!

Rachel Berry - Glee

She'll win, and be the best.  She has a great voice, can dance, and takes charge.  Yes, she can be abrasive and annoying, and her storm outs are ridiculous, but she'll grow out of that (hopefully).  She's a girl who's not afraid to take charge...and therefore, hero!

Kate Austen - Lost

Yeah, she was a fugitive, but she is so awesome!  After the crash she was right there with Jack et al. taking care of everyone and exploring the island for new places to live...and she still somehow manages to look pretty after weeks and weeks and weeks of no real showers and dirty clothes...I don't know about you, but I'd be a mess.  And then again it is fiction, but that doesn't take away the inherent awesomeness!

Sydney Bristow - Alias

She was able to do the whole able to be anyone thing a lot better than Echo and she doesn't have to have her memory wiped all the time or be somewhat of a prostitute doing it!  Yeah, she's awesome...shutting down SD-6 and finding all the Rambaldi artifacts and stuff...what a great little CIA agent!

Robin Scherbatsky - HIMYM

She's got sass, confidence, personality, she's pretty, and she can be totally butch without seeming overly manly!  She was Robin Sparkles, with her Canadian pop music and music videos, she gave Ted a chance even after he blew it with the opening line of "I love you", and she has been the only woman to get Barney Stinson to actually settle down and have a girlfriend...that's one powerful girl!

Sarah Walker - Chuck

Besides being perfect for Chuck (which would in and of itself be reason for me to put her on this list) she is another AWESOME CIA agent.  She can do practically everything, she takes care of Chuck, she can beat the heck out of Nichole Richie (as well as any other foe that comes her way)...Agent Walker is pretty darn awesome!

River Tam - Firefly

I almost put Kaylee, Zoe, and Inara on here too, but I thought I'd just stick with the most iconically Joss Whedon girl-power chica and that, hands down, has got to be River!  Not only is she so crazy it makes you smile (and occasionally feel chills from the creepy factor) she can FIGHT!  She's a crazy genius with some mad martial arts skills...the scene where she kills all the Reavers at the end of Serenity......WOW!

Chloe Sullivan - Smallville

If you read my post on Valentine's Day you'll know that I have this crazy soft spot for Miss Chloe Sullivan!  I've always loved the Lois Lane-y girl reporter thing...and Chloe epitomizes it...maybe even better than Lois.  First of all, she dresses soooo sharp!  Second, I like her hair.  Third, she has powers.  And fourth, she helps the pre-Justice League.  Yeah, she's a pretty awesome lady!

Penny - The Big Bang Theory

PENNY!!!  So, I just found out that her last name hasn't ever been revealed...that's weird!  But she is so cool!  She loves her nerdy neighbors, and that makes me so happy!  I love how when she feels dumb it doesn't exactly make her uncomfortable...she's pretty much always comfortable in her own skin.  I also love how she time and time again realizes that when it comes to real life, she's the genius!  Penny rocks!

Cyd Sherman aka Codex - The Guild

Well, first of all she beat Axis of Anarchy!  K, so she's not the epitome of anything but a gamer.  But she's so awesome!  And she's a favorite of mine even if she's not a real role model in any way, shape, or form...she's Codex, and that makes her awesome!

Olivia Dunham - Fringe

I think agents are cool.  Olivia is no exception.  This FBI missy is so smart and level headed.  She tries nearly everything, and never stops until the job is done.  She seems like a very quiet, level-headed person, which happen to be very admirable qualities to me due to the fact that I am loud, easily obsessed, and easily distracted.  Plus, she has those subconscious powers which is really kind of awesome!

Dana Scully - X-Files

Like I said, I like agents!  Scully, also FBI, has the same quiet level-headedness of Agent Dunham, but with a healthy dose of skepticism and an over abundance of realism.  Even after alien autopsies and massive amounts of evidence that would lead even the least "take me to your leader", "I've been abducted by little green men" types to begin believing in extra-terrestrial life.  But not Scully (for the most part...pre-no Mulder), she sticks to her no supernatural and no alien lifestyle pretty darn well! 

Kara Thrace aka Starbuck - BSG

I almost published this post without adding her for one major reason: she's not quintessentially pretty or girly.  But she does rock, and that means she belongs here.  She's butch, in a more manly sort of way than Robin, she shoots guns, drinks, smokes cigars, pilots Vipers, hits, kicks, etc. etc.  She's Starbuck!

So yeah, those are my top picks...tonight anyway...I think I'm getting tired now, so adios personas!

~Manda

No comments:

Post a Comment