Monday, June 21, 2010

Long Time, No Write (and lots of finales!)

So I just realized how long it's been since my last post....and oh my goodness: nearly a month!!!!  It's rather insane.  Since then I have seen multiple amazing season finales, caught up on all the Doctor Who, started watching Vampire Diaries (and was surprised that I kinda liked it), have seen Psych, etc. etc.  So yeah, time to catch up!

Season Finales (in alphabetical order):
The Big Bang Theory's finale was kind of a let down.  I love the show, and it is so incredibly funny, but the introduction of the female Sheldon was just weird.  I also really miss the Leonard/Penny relationship (stupid Wil Wheaton anyway...just kidding, he's cool).  But yeah, the finale, could've been more epic.


Chuck on the other hand was AWESOME!!!!!  The whole his dad dying and his sister learning about his CIA secret and the his secret about dying getting out to Sarah etc. etc.  I just love that show!  It was so intense and so epic (and it's been a while since I watched it so the details are not at all fresh on my mind, but) it was all around awesome! I do remember that the whole thing with Ellie taking care of Chuck and stuff, it really made me miss my little brothers, especially Davis.  I love how real the relationship between Ellie and Chuck is, it's one thing about the show that just makes me love it even more!!!  Love the show, the characters, the fact that it's gaining a wider fan-base (finally, it's about time!)  Oh yeah, and the return of the EVIL EVIL EVIL Shaw (didn't love that!)?!  Oh. My. Gosh!!!  This show just pretty much ROCKS!!!


The "oh my gosh that was the most intense season finale EVER" award definitely would go to Fringe!  Peter and Olivia FINALLY admit feelings and it looks all happily ever after, then WHAM!  She gets locked (literally) in an alternate dimension?!?!?!  Nooooooooo!!!!!  But really, the suspense is KILLING me for next season!!!!  That was one crazy season finale!


  

Glee, oh Glee...I'm sure a lot of people are sick of hearing about that show, but I love it!  I have to admit it's an odd feeling loving a show in it's freshman year that is such a big hit and isn't on the brink of cancellation.  It seems there are a lot of people who were not impressed by the finale, and I'm kind of a fence sitter on the matter.  I mean, the show is great because of the music, everyone should've realized that by now.  The story is cheesy, rather predictable, clichéd, and all sorts of lame, but the music, the talent, the energy, that's why the show is good.  Yes the season finale felt like every other episode, but really, why wouldn't it?  I love that they went back to Journey...and Faithfully?  I totally LOVED it!!!  But I think my favorite part would have to be the little convo between Rachel and Finn (her saying, "Break a leg," and him replying "I love you"....yup, squealed with delight right there!!!)  And I'm so glad that Jesse is out of the picture (I'm a die hard Finn fanatic...freaking LOVE that guy!!!)  I didn't like the Bohemian Rhapsody/giving birth sequence, it just felt totally awkward and weird, but oh well.  (Oh, and Will telling Emma he loves her, that was fun too.)



The HIMYM finale was cute.  I love how Barney made himself his own doppleganger...I just like that show, it makes me happy.  I love how Lily thought that weird looking guy looked like Barney.  The finale wasn't epic or anything, but it was good.  I love that cast for that show, they're always so much fun.  And I honestly can't wait for it to return in the fall.



Ok, Life UneXpected has surprisingly become a favorite of mine.  I'm surprised mostly because I really hated Shirri Appleby in Roswell (if you ever get the hankering to watch that show, I'm warning you, DO NOT CONTINUE PAST SEASON ONE!  And if you do, remember, I warned you!!!)  But I really, really like this show.  I love the cast, Baze especially!  I love the dynamics they have between all the characters (Baze/Cate, Baze/Ryan, Cate/Ryan, Baze/Lux, Cate/Lux, Ryan/Lux, etc.)  I think it's a really charming show and I love how its more of a family dramedy and how it doesn't feel as skanky as say Parenthood (I really dislike that show!  Like serious dislikeage!)  But the finale...I have to admit...I did cry.  (I tend to do that during TV shows, don't judge...I bawled during the season 2 finale of the Office, cried in the series finale of BtVS, multiple other episodes of BtVS, a select few episodes of Smallville, the pilot of Lost...I could go on and on, and I surprisingly have a much shorter list of movies I've cried during...go figure.)  It was so heartbreaking when Baze looked at Cate with that ultra pathetic, adorable, puppy dog face and she still chose Ryan...bawling like a baby.  It was so good, love the show, can't wait for season 2!


Modern Family really surprised me.  I had talked to my brother about the show over Christmas break and he felt ashamed that he had seen a few episodes.  I decided to check it out and I instantly fell in love.  I love how it's all mockumentary style a la the Office, but with more of a TV show feel between head-shots.  I really like it and although the finale just felt like the rest of the show (a lot of first season finales are like that) I can't wait till season 2!

The Office isn't as good as it used to be.  I've seen every episode, a lot of them multiple times, and I have to say, season 2 has always been and probably always will be my all time favorite.  This season was good (a lot better than the pre-strike episodes in season 4 anyway) but I think I'm only really watching it out of loyalty.  Don't get me wrong, I love the show and I think it's really funny pretty much every week, but I think it's getting old.  I'll probably see every episode even if it lasts another six seasons, but I think its prime was back in 2006.

New Shows (for me anyway):







So, I've now officially seen all the new Doctor Who episodes.  I'm practically in love with David Tennant, I loved all the story lines, I felt smart knowing who Billie Piper was when I was talking to my British friend, Debbie, I now understand the obsessively compelling nature of the show, I think Matt Smith is a funny and slightly adorable Doctor (but I think its weird because even though he's quite a bit younger than David Tennant...and all the other Doctors for that matter...he seems more...I dunno, ancient and old and stuff...maybe its the fish fingers and custard), and I absolutely ADORE Karen Gillan...she is so cool! (I hope I can grow up to be like her one day).  Yeah, Doctor Who is molto bene!  Oh, and Saturday's episode?  How on EARTH is he going to get out of the Pandorica and is Amy REALLY dead?!  That's just so sad!  I mean she and Rory were finally back together (at least sort of).  So, the Doctor got super dark at the end of the David Tennant era, and so I guess I was just a little surprised with how dark the new series is already...but I have to admit, it was cooool!!!!





Ok, Psych.  It's so funny and the Shawn/Gus bromance is hilarious and the one liners are priceless, the Shawn/Juliette pseudo relationship is adorable...I have to admit, I like it all very much!  I just finished season 4 today and was so sad when Juliette started crying in Lassie's arms at the end of the episode...and it was just freaky, the picture of little Shawn with Yang....creeeeppy.  And it was sad what happened to Mary (but the funeral, how sweet!)  I'm excited for season 5.  I dunno if it's going to become one of my week to week shows (like Chuck, Fringe, Life UneXpected, Glee, etc.) or one of my "watch the whole season marathon style" shows (like Lost, Heroes, and Smallville) but regardless, it's a great show, and I have to thank my friend from work, Spencer, for turning me onto it.






Last is Vampire Diaries.  I have to admit, my friend, Ruthie, knows me pretty darn well.  We were making jewelry to sell at farmers markets around the valley and she turned this on.  She was smart and started it off with the disclaimer "Ok Amanda, don't worry, this show is based on books that were written 1991."  I immediately became less skeptical (and for those of you who don't already know this, the Buffy movie came out in '92 and the series didn't start till '96).  Well, if there is one thing I probably hate more than vampire-y stuff coming out because of (and based on *gag*) Twilight it's got to be Buffy wanna-bes (most especially the blatant ones and ones that admit that they are intentionally copying it *cough* Roswell and Charmed *cough*).  So, I decided, "hey, it's not based on Twilight and it's a pre-Buffy story, I guess I'll just try it out."  Well, it's good, not "oh my gosh amazing" but it's good.  And then there's Damon Salvatore!!!!  First of all I love Ian Somerhalder.  Loved him in both Smallville and Lost...he's got amazing eyes, a beautiful face, and really great hair.  Plus he can totally play the whiny, slightly incestuous, spoiled rich boy and make the character pretty hot, and he can also rock the villainous villain with a heart of pure evil as well as the boy who fits right in between...yeah, can't lie, I watch Vampire Diaries for Damon (and because I'm insanely jealous of Elena's hair...oh, and the fact that Damon is totally in love with her and it's more fun to watch than Stefan's love with the brooding and the complaining, that too).

So yeah, there you go...all the shows are pretty much over for a while (I guess they've already been over for a while).  So this TV junkie seriously can't wait till the fall premires (until then I have shows like Smallville, Lost, and the apparently disappointing final season of Heroes that I can watch).  Have a wonderful summer (cuz it officially started today!  YAY!)

~Manda

No comments:

Post a Comment