Saturday, November 14, 2009

A little intro, a little Glee, a little Dollhouse, and a whole lot of Joss


Dollhouse stars, Tahmoh Penikett (left) and Eliza Dushku (right) with Joss Whedon.

In light of the recent tragedy for all Joss Whedon Fans (FOX officially canceled Dollhouse and are burning off the rest of the episodes back to back on Fridays starting in December) I decided that I would like to post my televisional opinions online for no reason other than to maybe relieve those nearest and dear to me from having to endure hours of mindless television obsessed babble!

First off, if you are reading this and don't know me (pssh, like THAT's ever gonna happen) I need to get a few things straight. I love television! I really, really do. I am a rather huge Joss Whedon fan and love everything he has ever done (with the exception of Roseanne: not my kind of thing, and he had no controlling creativity on it; and the original movie of Buffy the Vampire Slayer: great ideas, obsessed with the show, but the movie was a swing and a miss, in my opinion). My pool of television genres is kind of large. I like dramas, action, dramedies, comedies, sci-fi, fantasy, etc., etc. There are a few things that annoy me to no end: reality shows, and poorly written shows with bad acting, no plot, bad directing, etc. (but who doesn't hate those kind...I know people like reality TV, and that's ok...but only idiots like bad television.)

Ok, after that, the real reason I'm dying to write! As I stated previously I am an incredibly HUGE Joss Whedon fan, and as such, currently numbered among those mourning the loss of yet another great series. I do find it interesting that when his shows were on the air for the long haul (Buffy: seven seasons; Angel: five seasons) they built him up a name and a fan base and they never really graduated from cult to hit. Now, granted Buffy just about died after season five but was then picked up by UPS for an additional two seasons, but it had a five season run before that. Well, to get to my point, when Joss's shows were doing well they never gathered huge fan bases, and when they aren't doing well (Firefly: partial season, Dollhouse: almost two seasons) they retain their Whedonesque fan bases and gain a few more, but the shows still die. Many people (including myself) would point their fingers at FOX for the difference between the long running series and the dead-and-buried-before-it-starts type. And with Dollhouse many point their fingers at FOX, but also at Joss for not having "learned his lesson" and deciding to work with FOX again. But let's remember, fellow Whedonites, what company produced Buffy, the show that got Joss off the ground? Yes, it was the evil people at FOX. No, they didn't air it, that was the WB (oh, remember the good old days, pre-CW? Wasn't that a great time to be alive?) but FOX was our friend for a while.


Dollhouse promo pic

Well, I know, I'm rather long winded, but just imagine the time this is saving my friends and family (and the potential strain on the vocal chords it could cause me), but I wanted to share something I read today. I was bored and trying to find something to do that wasn't boring like homework, house work, piano/voice practice, so of course I turn to the internet (sidereel.com to be specific) I wanted to read a little more on the cancellation of Dollhouse, so I looked it up on sidereel. I found the schedule for the back to back burn out of the final episodes of the season (which can be found here.) While reading on I found what Joss told the Hollywood Reporter about his reaction to the news of the (nearly inevitable) cancellation:

"I don't have a lot to say," Whedon wrote in a post on Whedonesque.com. "I'm extremely proud of the people I've worked with: my star (Eliza Dushku), my staff, my cast, my crew. I feel the show is getting better pretty much every week, and I think you'll agree in the coming months. I'm grateful that we got to put it on, and then come back and put it on again."

Whedon also addressed his plans. "I'm off to pursue internet ventures/binge drinking," he wrote. "Possibly that relaxation thing I've read so much about. By the time the last episode airs, you'll know what my next project is. But for now there's a lot of work still to be done, and disappointment to bear."


So, yes, sad that Dollhouse is dead and nearly buried (sad for the genius and the smokin' hot cast! and they are smokin' hot, not gonna lie), but according to Joss, he already has thoughts on what to do next. I personally can't wait till the final finale of Dollhouse to find out what in store for us Whedonites!


Yet another Dollhouse promo pic (with most of the smokin' hot cast)

Oh, and on a side note, I just found out (like two seconds ago) that Joss is a fan of one of my favorite TV shows on the air and he's going to direct an episode!!! Check THIS out!!! (woohoo!!)


On the really happening front, aren’t you directing an episode of Glee?
I am.

Is Glee your new favorite show?
That would be an exactly correct assessment. With
Sarah Connor
and Battlestar gone, my wife and I need a new obsession and it landed in my lap. And sang to us!

Are any Dr. Horrible or Buffy songs on the performance roster?
I would have to say a resonant ‘no way.’ The episode isn’t about me. It’s the next episode of
Glee. Hopefully my hands will be invisible on the show. You’ll just go, “Why, that is remarkably good. It gives me glee.” That is my hope. I’ll be shooting in March.
The rest of the interview can be found here. They also talk about him and the Terminator franchise, and the sequel to Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. It's a great little interview, check it out!

~Manda

No comments:

Post a Comment